Wednesday, May 03, 2006

The More You Know...The More You Grow

Okay, I like to read. I like to read what my wife considers to be geek books. She doesn't understand how I can actually stay awake to read them while reading them. Anyway, this year I set a goal to read 12 nonfiction and 6 fiction books. The financial guru Dave Ramsey says that when polled most people that feel their lives are a success read on average 12 books a year. So, I figured why not, let's see how this works(okay, he actually says that when polled millionaires on average read 12 books a year. But that just sounds so materialistic--and yes I realize money does not equal success).

Now, I try to read books on a variety of topics. I try to read some classics...but I gotta be honest...who decided these were classics?

Right now I am reading Walden by Henry David Thoreau. It is a pretty good book but I don't understand all the acclaim given to it by folks like Don Henley et al. It's basically about Thoreau's time living in the wilderness of Massachusetts in the 1840s. It does make me want to lead a simpler life...but I do love me some indoor plumbing. Thoreau laments about the speed of life in the cities around him...how people just have to speed through life on trains that go 30 mph.

The other books I have read this year are:
Grant and Sherman: The Friendship that Won the Civil War-- Great book if you like history.
Getting entrepreneurial! Creating and Growing Your Own Business in the 21st Century--Not bad.
Bringing Up Boys by James Dobson--I gotta learn how to deal with Ude and Qusay somehow!

Add these to countless childrens books and cereal boxes and that pretty much rounds out my literary intake for '06. I gotta get to reading to reach my goal but generally I read more in the summer.

Up next is a John Avant book about having passion for Christ...I am not sure of its title. After that Kentucky Story, an anthology of Kentucky Short Stories...after that...who knows?

On a more serious note. I took my daughter for her driver permit test on Monday and the dude behind the counter had to be an Elvis impersonator...he looked just like "Jumpsuit Elvis."

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So... did bringing up boys get any critical aclaim? Just Wondering...
As I sit here, about to turn in my last project for the semester ( I hope anyway, I have a few professors who love to surprise), I would like to take a moment to ask everyone to think back on your educational experience and ponder what happpened to all of the papers and projects you worked on. I'd be willing to bet that I have expressed my thoughts in at least 500 papers over the years probably totaling over 100,000 pages of writing effort, and for what I ask you... for another piece of paper that says I'm qualified to make coffee full-time!?! Not that I'm bitter or anything, it's just something I was pondering.

Anonymous said...

that guy has worked at the permit place for at least 53 years.

Wes said...

Wes's Favorite Books (for all of my stalkers):

1) Lord of the Rings
2) The Great Gatsby
3) Catcher In The Rye

Nate: After much deliberation, your blog has earned a link on Cooperstown. Let the party begin.

Anonymous said...

Way to go Nea, you're almost graduated...

Nathan I know what you mean about the reading list. I'm working on The Hot Zone (about the Ebola virus) and I'm almost finished with the complete Chronicles of Narnia. Of course until I take my boards I'm going to be reading all about drugs and their side effects etc...but let me know the name of that John Avant book, I'm definitely interested!

And Wes, I love Catcher in the Rye, it's in my top 3 as well. Gotta love Holden.

Nate said...

wes,

I am honored to be included on your list of links.

Sarah F.,
Now you know what wes's favorite books are....stalker.

nea,
100,000 pages / 500 papers = 200 pages/paper. I seldom wrote more than 190 pages/paper when I was in college....over achiever.

DocDename,
The John Avant book is The Passion Promise(sounds like it should have Favio on the cover). I borrowed it from my father-in-law; I am sure you could borrow it as well.

Chandler,
It would have to be intimidating to take your drivers test with...The King.

Anonymous said...

As if I didn't already know Wes' favorite books?!? I'm not called a stalker for nothin'.

Anonymous said...

Dear HQ,

Please return to Nate's blog. We miss you!

Anonymous said...

so now i've been missed
although, by you i was dissed
now my butt you kissed

Anonymous said...

well, Nathan... that's the difference between the Dean's list nerds and all those other guys!