Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Try-Athlon

On July 8 I will compete in my first triathlon. Compete could actually be too bold of a word. On July 8 I will drown in my first triathlon. There, that's better.

The race consists of a .53 mile swim, a 9.1 mile bike ride, and a 2.6 mile run. I have complete confidence in my ability to ride and run. The swim, not so much.

I have been going to the YMCA for weeks now getting prepared for the swim. I do not swim well. I have issues with buoyancy. My nose leaks. Basically, I can't swim. I know the aquatics director at the Y. She saw me swimming laps the other day and suggested that I enroll in her adult swim lesson class. I'd rather drown.

But I must tell you that I finally think that I have figured out the swim. All doggie paddle, all the time. I can doggie paddle for hours. It's slow, it's ugly, it's effective. I can now swim the .53 miles without stopping.

Also to prepare I have been working out, a lot. Just when I thought I could see a difference in my physique I heard this at work today. "Dang Nathan you're gett'n fat." Yeah, that guy got a raise.

So, as of right now I have 11 days to prepare for the triathlon. Consider it done.

Now, if I can only figure out what color of Speedo to wear.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Good jaab with the working ouuut. Ya task will be haaard, but I know you can doooit" Hasta la nachos, baby.

Anonymous said...

ok, so i get in trouble for mentioning to someone you are going to do this and then you go and write about it on the WORLDWIDE internet? don't forget to
add that the YMCA instructor offered to give you the lessons for FREE!

Anonymous said...

you are going to wear one of the pairs of speedos that you already have...we are not going out and buying a new pair for one race!

Anonymous said...

If you're planning on drowning may I suggest a bright color for your speedos....that way you'll be easier to find in the water. J/K

Seriously though, I'm impressed, we'll all have to come and cheer you on!

Anonymous said...

All I have to say is "Ewww, speedos!"

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of going for the flesh colored speedo. Just for the shock effect.

Anonymous said...

trust me...the speedo(minus the flesh color) will be enough shock for us!

Anonymous said...

Please for the children's sake, consider the swimwear of the 1920's. They have enough to live down with the softball fence climbing and yelling history of the family!!!!

Anonymous said...

43E1TW8`53W42W24QT26R3E5ERK[EETYTRU3YYSTEYDT4YT

Anonymous said...

Wiley,
If you don't start your blog back up I will start blogdentity theft(see Sorge's Blogger Dictionary). I'm serious, if you don't start it up by Sunday I'm going to. Who knows what I will(I mean you) will say. If I have to start it for you your readers will learn of a certain orientation shift that you have "made".

Jordan said...

ATTENTION EVERYONE....

Please tell my father anything that will discourage him from wearing a speedo! You never know when he's serious. Please...us believers have to stick together in times like this. Thanks for your prayers.

Jordan

Anonymous said...

i think the speedo is very important to your times...you could possibly take off up to 1.6 seconds!

Anonymous said...

next he will be shaving his head

Anonymous said...

hey wiley i thought you looked good in the parade with that rainbow shirt on...it was very festive!

queenhaiku said...

like a fish swims you
and your speedos are brand new
the girls will yell WOOOOO!

Anonymous said...

good luck with your race...if you didn't find a speedo at the speedo store, let Big Daddy T know, he has a few you can choose from...