Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Assignment: Vacation

I had a friend in college(no joke) that when he would go on vacation he would load up on mundane, one dollar or cheaper souvenirs. He did this so that upon his return when someone would ask, "What did you bring me?" he could say, "I saw this spoon with Nags Head on it and thought of you." I always thought it was kind of a waste because I never had any problem saying "nothing" when the question was posed to me. This all changed when my friend once took a trip to some place that I cannot remember. When he returned I asked, as a joke, "what did you get me?" Without hesitation he replied, "This previously viewed copy of Uncle Buck." I still have that tape and it warms my heart to think that when he was in "Everything's-a-Dollar" in Somewhere, USA he thought of me.

That brings me to my assignment for you. I don't travel very much. I want schwag. Since many of you are traveling some this summer (sPotts and sFost this weekend, ahem) I want you to bring me something back. No expense is necessary but appreciated. It could be a napkin that says "Nashville" or a 2007 Chevy Avalanche with Myrtle Beach license plates. Anything, I just want something from where you are going. Shameless, maybe. Sad, maybe. Nathan, totally.

The person that brings back the most creative souvenir will be given props on this blogsite. Now what other incentive could you need?

** Official Contest Rules **
-This contest does not expire or stop. Just keep bringing me stuff.
-Submissions are not tax deductible and become the property of the Elementary Intersocial Volition staff
-Bribes are accepted

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nathan,
I have a souvenir bill for you from this past weekend in STL. They expect prompt payment, do not delay!!

ps. seriously, click the handicap button next time!

Anonymous said...

Does Nashville really count as vacation if I'm going for a women's ministry conference? I think I'm exempt from the "bring Nathan a gift" contest. Maybe I can find a roll of t.p. at a gas station. That would be a gift for Jordan though.

And I have no idea what Tenant is talking about with these handicap buttons?!?

Nate said...

I think you have to be wearing a helmet in order to push the handicap button.

Nate said...

okay, I just pushed the handicap button. I am seriously freaked out. Those voices are cryptic.

Anonymous said...

Now I know what it is. I'm going to test the handicap button.

Anonymous said...

Alrighty...I too am scared by the voices. It sounds like there is a horse cloppety cloppety in the background. What in the world? Maybe it didn't sound right because I wasn't wearing a helmet?!?!

Anonymous said...

P.S. I'm going to West Virginia in a couple of weeks...maybe I'll try to find somebody there with all their teeth. Now THAT would be a souvenir!

Anonymous said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again... I think it's really funny when people from KENTUCKY make fun of people from West Virginia, I mean... who do you think they make fun of... seriously!

ps. I'm starting to really like the handicap button, does that mean anything? Yet, still no one has answered my question on why this button might be applicable?

Anonymous said...

They make fun of yankees from Illinois who don't like "fixin' to."

Don't be bitter just because you were once a West Virginian!

Anonymous said...

does this assignment involve me since my time away will be spent w/ you?

Anonymous said...

bring nathan a gift
if you don't he will be miffed
it may cause a rift

Anonymous said...

Yankee huh?!? I just thought I had that Mid-west swing ya'll! (Get it... Nelly... Midwest Swing... ok, whatever...)

Anonymous said...

Seeing that it's been a week, it's time for a cross-blog. So, here's what I was thinking . . . this weekend, I went to Nashville and spent Saturday evening hanging out with a college friend and some of his co-workers. Well, we were outside for a few hours. I was wearing jeans and sitting in a chair. I know you probably don't care about that, but it relates to my point . . . be patient! Well, on Sunday morning, I had bites all around my knees -- the front, the back, the side. I just figured I had been bitten through my jeans somehow by pesky mosquitos. Upon further review, I realized that I had been attacked and invaded my chiggers. So, here's my question...I know God is all-powerful and all-knowing (I could have used those big omni words but I'll stick with the simpler versions for the blonde readers), but I have to wonder why He made those creatures??? They have to be part of the "Fall." Seriously, do they serve any purpose, other than to make me scratch my knees furiously? It's ridiculous. I've even applied finger nail polish around my knees in the hopes to suffocate them, but it still itches. Since they are red, they must be of the Devil. That's all I can come up with.

Kelly K said...

We leave for a long weekend of camping on Thursday. I will try to get Noah to bring you back a crawdad.