Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Okay. Something You are Passionate About.

So I am starting to get heckled for not getting comments for up to two days. But I now realize that it was my own fault. I don't think my last post was something that my loyal readers were all that excited about. So here goes.

Today Jordan was eating waffles. While she was eating said waffles she asked me what her next post should be about(check out her newest post at www.jordancor.blogspot.com). Since she was eating waffles and looking for a post topic I told her to blog about syrup. She scoffed. She could not write about syrup. Well, I can.

I really like syrup. I like it on pancakes. I like it on waffles. I really like it when you have bacon with any of the above and you dip your bacon in the syrup. And if the syrup is warm, don't get me started.

One time, when I was little, we were at my mammaw's house and my dad actually tapped a maple tree. Drained the sap. Then my mammaw made homemade maple syrup. Mmmmm.
I have many stories I could tell you about syrup. How I used to love the Mrs. Butterworth bottle. I always wanted her to start talking to me. I love how socially conscious syrup companies have gotten; i.e. remember when Mrs. Butterworth was dressed more like a slave but now she is like wearing a business suit(maybe that was Aunt Jemimah). Or how technologically advanced syrup companies have gotten; i.e. when all the syrup bottles started putting an indicator to let you know when your syrup was just the right temperature in the microwave.

But my all time favorite syrup story definitely trumps all the above. About a year ago Betty fixed breakfast for dinner(I love when she does that). Anyway, she fixed pancakes and bacon(great combo). After fixing the bacon she poured all the bacon grease into a cup(why do people save that?). A little while later in strolls Jordan. She fixes her pancakes and pours her "syrup" from the cup on the stove. Now why Jordan thought her mother would pour a half a cup of syrup and leave it on the stove I do not know. But anyway Jordan got a dose of Betty's Homemade Bacon Grease Syrup. Mmmmm. Smooth going down.

There. I blogged on syrup. I hope I sparked your passion.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

fyi...i was not saving the grease, i was removing the grease in order to make your eggs...i am not of the generation which reuses fat. i am a fat snob...i would rather go to the expense of creating my own grease at each cooking endeavor...which as you have probably noticed is spaced apart quite generously. although after the 'jordan ate the fat' incident, it may be worth saving the grease.

Anonymous said...

I save my bacon grease and put in the fridge and later put it in my green beans. It's super healthy. I also think it's cool how it gets white and waxy when it's in the fridge.

Anonymous said...

that skit with Tracey Morgan as Uncle Jemima is pretty funny, and syruppy. of course, Uncle Jemima's Malt Mash Liquor probably isn't the best item to consume on a stack of flapjacks. mmmmmm....flapjacks.

Anonymous said...

i love drinking it straight out of the bottle.

Anonymous said...

you drink uncle jemima's malt mash liquor straight out of the bottle?

Anonymous said...

when jordan eats syrup it is the gift that keeps on giving...on the counter...on the clothes...on the floor...on the dog...on the boys.........

Anonymous said...

You can blog on syrup, yes, but can you blog further on Bacon grease?

Jordan said...

MOMMY IS MAKING SYRUP...WITH BACON AND PANCAKES AS WE SPEAK!

Anonymous said...

I believe one of the best inventions was that little label to tell you when the syrup is hot!!! I mean, how do they do that? So... that sounds like a wonderful party idea, so when are we coming to the Dudley residence for the flapjack fling... or is it the syrup suare'?

Anonymous said...

As you suggested the other night here is the address for blog site

http://sam-the-fisherman.blogspot.com/

there is a link there to Kelly's blog also


Claire

Anonymous said...

bacon grease how cool
the smell of it makes me drool
on pancakes it rules!

Anonymous said...

i am passionate about someone else cleaning the dishes when we have pancakes

Jordan said...

fine dad...i did it...i blogged on syrup!

Kelly K said...

Betty needs a blog to post all her QH stuff on!