Saturday, March 03, 2007

Why I Haven't Been Posting.

The past few months have been a whirlwind. I can hardly tell up from down. I have been preparing for a mission that I have kept secret from most of you for over a year now. But as the days fly by and I get closer and closer to departure I find myself growing nervous. If I have been short with any of you lately I apologize, but I think you will soon understand.

On March 14th I will be leaving for Nepal. I will be gone for the next three months. I will climb Everest.

For months now I have been travelling back and forth between Kentucky, Colorado, and Alaska as I prepare to enter the thin air of the Himalayans. I have had to get a passport and hundreds of shots, not to mention countless hours of rock and ice climbing on various mountains outside of Denver, plus the weekend jaunt to Mt. McKinley. Frankly I am exhausted. Yet so excited I can hardly contain myself. During this time I have hardly worked...thank you Betty for keeping up with the job issues. Climb all week, home on the weekends.

So, as of today the arrangements are final. On Wednesday the 14th I will fly from Cincinnati to Paris, have a twenty hour layover, and then on to Kathmandu, Nepal. There I will meet up with my expedition group, Himalayan Ascents, Inc. We will spend two days resting and acclimating in a lodge just outside of Kathmandu. From there it will be a two week trek through inner Nepal to the Everest Base Camp. That is where the fun begins. We will spend countless hours acclimating to the altitude. Each breath will be work. This will continue for nearly six weeks as we travel up the mountain and then down again. Finally we will make our summit push somewhere around the 10th of May(if the weather cooperates).

I cannot imagine the feeling I am going to have when I see Everest for the first time. I am also excited because there will be an IMAX expedition on the mountain at the same time. They are filming a movie of two Sherpas that are plotting a new route to the summit.

I just hope I can reach the top.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

and I just completed my goal of swimming the Atlantic...

Anonymous said...

that sounds like a great idea...i love the title of that book...LEFT FOR DEAD...it made we want to climb too...

Unknown said...

To learn more about the Sherpa tribe that makes climbing Everest possible, read Beyond the Summit by Linda LeBlanc. Details of Sherpa culture and religion are interwoven in a tale of romance and high adventure. The story has something for everyone: a love affair between an American journalist and Sherpa guide, conflict between generations as the modern world challenges centuries of tradition, an expedition from the porter's point of view.

Below are selections from reviews. To read the complete ones and excerpts go to www.beyondthesummit-novel.com

A gripping, gut-twisting expedition through the eyes of a porter reveals the heart and soul of Sherpas living in the shadows of Everest. EverestNews.com

A hard-hitting blend of adventure and romance which deserves a spot in any serious fiction collection. Midwest Book Review

LeBlanc is equally adept at describing complex, elusive emotions and the beautiful, terrifying aspect of the Himalayan Mountains. Boulder Daily Camera

LeBlanc's vivid description of the Himalayas and the climbing culture makes this a powerful read. Rocky Mt News Pick of the Week

A rich adventure into the heart of the Himalayan Kingdom. Fantastic story-telling from one who has been there. USABookNews.com

This is the book to read before you embark on your pilgrimage to Nepal. The author knows and loves the people and the country, and makes you feel the cold thin air, the hard rocks of the mountains, the tough life of the Sherpa guides, and you learn to love them too. This is a higly literate, but also very readable book. Highly recommended."
-- John (college professor)

Memorable characters and harrowing encounters with the mountains keep the action moving with a vibrant balance of vivid description and dialogue. Literary Cafe Host, Healdsburg, CA

This superbly-crafted novel will land you in a world of unimaginable beauty, adventure, and romance. The love story will keep you awake at night with its vibrant tension and deep rich longing. Wick Downing, author of nine novels

The book is available from amazon.com, chesslerbooks.com, Barnes & Noble and Borders Stores, and the web site for an autographed copy.

Anonymous said...

Wiley I have the same thoughts. I guess time will tell.

Anonymous said...

liar

Anonymous said...

liar

Anonymous said...

pants

Anonymous said...

on

Anonymous said...

fire!

lazyrighteye said...

I know you couldn't be ice climbing in Colorado without me.
I climb 3 times a week, in season.

BTW, just stumbled across your blog today. Brilliant!