Tuesday, December 18, 2007

1969

The year 1969 has often been spoken of as one of the best (and worst) years on record. Many wonderful and dubious things happened in that year of four decades ago. That was the year the Gap opened for business. It was the year Wal-Mart incorporated. Woodstock was held in New York.

Many of us that are not from that decade often don't realize what all happened in 1969. On July 20 of that year our proud nation was the first to reach the moon. John Lennon married Yoko Ono...they were evidently famous for some reason during that decade...I wouldn't know...I wasn't born in that decade.

On closer inspection I believe more "strange" things happened in 1969 than perhaps any other year, ever. The Brady Bunch made its television debut. The very first ATM was put into use. The Football War was fought between El Salvador and Honduras when fights after a soccer game led to a war, seriously. The Manson Family. Chappaquiddick. Canada adds French as an official language in addition to English. Hee-Haw debuts. The Nixon administration begins.
This is just a tip of the ice-berg of all the strange events of the second to last year of the sixties.

There was also a plethora of "interesting" people born in MCMLXIX. Marilyn Manson, Bobby Brown, Mariah Carey, Nate Dogg(the rapper, not me, I was not born in that decade), Sean "P-Diddy-Puff-Daddy-Puffy" Combs, Matthew "Anti-Anti-Perspirant" McConaughey, and Jay-Kay (lead singer of Jamiroquai).

The point is this...there were so many strange things and interesting people born in that year that I wonder what was going on. Was there solar flares? Unusual gravitational phenomena?There was a lot of drug use. May be that was it.

It is time for us, as Americans, to look back on history. Even history that seems so far away. Back to a time when television was only sporatically in color. We owe it to those that were born in that decade so long ago.

Here are some other folks that were born in the decade: aging bachelor George Clooney, Seventies T.V. star Eddie Murphy, and presidential candidate Barak Obama. All from the sixties.

The children of the sixties need our help.

Happy Birthday Baybuh. 12/18/You Guess the Year.

Ps. I was not born during that decade.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

you suck

Anonymous said...

She touched the world in 1969s Woodstock festival. Please help her. LetHerIn dot org

Thank you
Jim Baldwin
Spokane WA

Anonymous said...

I always thought P-Diddy and B.Cornezzle reminded me of each other... now I know why!!!

Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

happy birthday betty!

TaylorW said...

if only they had blogging in 1969, then it would not doubt have been amazing....

Anonymous said...

Didn't Betty's YOUNGER brother, Al Gore, invent blogging??? :)

Anonymous said...

Since this site is reserved for somewhat random thoughts, which are right up my alley, here's one for the world:

Few experiences in life are more exciting than when I reach the end of my bars of soap in stock, and I know I have to go buy more. I GET TO BUY A NEW FLAVOR!!!

It's always so fun to be able to think, I'm going to make myself smell COOL this time, what soap should I get?!?!

I usually go with Lever 2000, sometimes Irish Spring or Dial, but yesterday I bought this new Dial for Men that's blue and has a grip molded into it, like one of those things you squeeze to strengthen your forearm muscles.

Man, this soap rocks. And it's supposed to leave my skin feeling refreshed, not dry! And I smell great too!

I'm hoping that when I go out in public today, it'll be like that Tag Body Spray commercial where hot chicks just tackle me they want me so bad, so desperately, so RIGHT NOW!!!

Anonymous said...

I think Ivory tastes the best. It's 99 44/100% pure.

Anonymous said...

44/100% ????

Is that 99.44% pure, or 99.0044% pure???

Eric Patrick Marr said...

Since this blog is for pretty much anything, and since only Nate posts annually, I'm making this my official "random, but true (akin to Seinfeld) thoughts blog."

First Post Title : The Beauty of Blue

When in doubt when making a purchase, and you have to choose a particular color for the item, I recommend always going with blue.

The red toothpaste turns your face red. No good. Stay with the blueish stuff.

When buying clothes of any kind, everybody looks hot in Kentucky Blue.

When buying deodorant, only the blue ones smell good. (Some chicks even dig that smell!)

Hello, they're called BLUE jeans...

Chicks love my blue eyes!

Blue is just sort of heavenly and peaceful. Bold, but relaxing and happy. No one ever fusses about blue.

Except when buying a vehicle, then the only acceptable color is black.

EPM

Eric Patrick Marr said...

... that was supposed to say "Nate only posts annually."

I put the only in the wrong place.

EPM

Anonymous said...

Is EPM really Oprah? Sounds like her.

Anonymous said...

funny how Betty is born a whole decade before you but looks a whole decade younger...

Eric Patrick Marr said...

Ouch, Claire hatin' on little ol' me!?!?

I love me some Oprah, but I'm plenty masculine enuf, yo! (In fact, when she's not topping out at 350, she's kinda hot.)

Just imagine a much cooler, sexier, younger, buffer Dr. Wayne Dyer (with hair, of course) and that's the Real EP.

:)

EPM

For the life of me, I can't figure out why some folk insist I am cocky!?!?!

Anonymous said...

Not hatin' Me never hates people, just curious. LOL