Friday, November 09, 2007

Jive Turkey of the Week Award

So the ol'lady had a hen party tonight (my lovely wife had some friends over for the evening). To help make that possible I took the boys out for a while. We decided to go to the mall...see their sister, get some grub, and hit the play area. While there I realized who should receive the First Annual Jive Turkey of the Week award. It's the folks that constantly harass you as you walk from Dip'nDots to Auntie Anne's to Chick-fil-A to Great American Cookie Company to Williams Sonoma for free samples to Tropical Smoothie to Godiva for free samples to Sonic back to Williams Sonoma for more free samples and finally to GNC for some whey protein(gotta keep my swole on). The workers at the kiosks won't let you pass without trying to get you to stop and hear their pitch. This is not a problem for some. They can blow them off without any problem. It's not so easy for me. For whatever reason I feel the need to listen to half their pitch before I finally say "no thank you" and move on.

Well, tonight I had finally had enough. As I was walking past Williams Sonoma (trying to look left-handed this time so they wouldn't think I had gotten samples before) a dude grabs me by the arm and asks me if I would like a Mallssage. I had had it. I spun around quickly, looked the guy straight in the eye and said "Step off me you Jive Turkey!" It was wonderful...three people around me actually applauded. The manager of Williams Sonoma gave me a double sample of peppermint bark, and the dude at the Dell kiosk(they leave you alone, almost to a fault) just looked at me and tearfully whispered "Thank you." Even the guy who had offered the Mallssage apologized and told me he was going to look for a different job. Secretly I felt as if I may have overreacted, but the reaction of those around encouraged me to think differently. I had to do it. That gave me the idea for this award.

So here's to you Mr. and Ms. Overly Pushy Kiosk at the Mall Worker. You are the First Annual Jive Turkey of Week.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hope you enjoy sleeping in the barn

Jordan said...

annual award of the week??

Nate said...

would you prefer weely award of the year?

Jordan said...

maybe daily reward of the week

Anonymous said...

i went to the mall yesterday to get a mallsage and they have had to shut down their business. apparently some jive turkey verbally assaulted one of the workers and the other employees were too afraid to return to work

Anonymous said...

I think Tiff wins the latest Annual Jive Turkey of the Week award. Her dancing on the DDR (is that truly considered "dancing") somewhat resembled a turkey's two-step!!!

Mine, on the other hand, was nearly flawless. As my 54% score illustrated.

And to all the other tailfeather shakers there Saturday evening, 'twas nice meetin' y'all!

Anonymous said...

just wasting some valuable time this morning and stumbled upon you and Betty's blogs (er..blahgs). This post completely cracked me up - kudos to you and well, the poor guy probably had to find the closest restroom after that incident and "take care of some paperwork". (from Michelle Y...a/k/a Caitlin and Matthew's mom) who doesn't want to use her blogger id because she hasn't posted in a couple years...