Tuesday, February 26, 2008

"One/ThirdLife"

I am currently watching the television debut of the series "Quarterlife." The show follows six "creative" people in their twenties through the videoblog of a young lady named Dylan. The show has apparently gathered a following through episodes on the Internet. I am watching almost as research. My wife and I teach the quarterlife age group Bible study at our church and I am hoping to further my knowledge of the twenty-something condition. Apparently I have forgotten quite a bit in my four years of absence from that demographic.

I do believe, however, that there is need for a similar show for folks my age. So, this is my attempt to garner a web following that will eventually lead to my own television series. First of all my show will not be based on a videoblog...let's just say that I have a face for the written blog. Second, I don't own a digital camcorder so even if I were purty I would have a hard time proving that to you.

Let's get started.

Title: Originally "One/ThirdLife" was the title. This presents a problem. I am currently 34 years of age. 34 x 3 = 102. Now, that is an age that I could possibly live to but at my current rate of McDonald's consumption and UV ray exposure it is most unlikely. Additionally I doubt my kids much like the idea of changing my diapers as her retirement pastime. Using the average American male life expectancy of 74 years and dividing my age by that number the title could be "Forty-Five-Point-Nine-Percent-Life" but, quite frankly, it is depressing realizing that my life is that close to half over. So back to "One/Third Life" and Jordan and the boys will just have to live with the diaper changes. Will this upset them?...Depends.(I completely stole that joke from my brother-in-law...Listen to him on "The Show with No Name" weekdays on 630 WLAP from 3pm to 6pm).

Episode I: Our protagonist (we'll call him Nathan) documents his life and the the lives of those he loves on his blog. He tells of things such as he and his wife getting a baby-sitter(thanks Boppy) so they can go out on a date only to realize that they are exhausted and are more than happy to return home by 9:30(you're welcome Boppy). It will also tell of the adventures of parenthood including such things as the youngest son getting potty-trained(his third grade teacher is going to be so excited!). The show will include scenes of the ensemble cast sitting around discussing life much like on "Quarterlife" and previously seen on "Friends." The difference being instead of a trendy coffee house the witty banter will take place at the mall play area or at Chuck E. Cheese's. The conversation will not include dating exploits but will cover more practical aspects of life such as good places to download coupons and the dread of impending prostate examinations (I got six years).

Time Slot: I think this show should air in conjunction with "Quarterlife." The problem being that if "One/ThirdLife" comes on after "Quarterlife" (as would make sense chronologically) most of the one/third-lifers will probably already be in bed. So I think it should come on at 9pm with "Quarterlife" following at ten.

The Moral: Each "One/ThirdLife" episode will end with Nathan blogging about being completely elated with his lot in life. He would realize that many of the characters on "Quarterlife" would make fun of his thirtysomething lifestyle(yeah, we own a mini-van)...would he care...nope...would he trade with them...no way...does he miss that stage of life...a little...what does he miss most?...metabolism.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have inspired me...

Kelly K said...

Will we get a weekly "show" or will it only run 1/3 of the time? Once every three weeks? Once every three months?

Anonymous said...

judging by nate's postability...maybe once every three months.

Anonymous said...

i ate my metabolism!

Misty Dawn said...

I stopped reading at the life nearly half over part. I'll come back later to read the rest, if I haven't driven my jeep off the road at a high rate of speed somewhere as a direct result of the depressive state this comment has left me in.

Anonymous said...

what is metabolism and am I a bad person if I despise my children's unblemished, perfect, thin figures? maybe it's time to start Betty's thin mint diet...and as if I wasn't already depressed enough about turning 40 in two months this post has me on the verge of going over the edge...

Anonymous said...

surely if you chew them really fast, you are burning alot of calories, cause there are a bunch of thin mints in each box.

Misty Dawn said...

Ok, now that I've survived the day and not killed myself, I have come back to completely read this blog.

I like it.

Why? Because today (before reading the end of this blog) I decided I want to dabble in screenwriting. Surely if an ex-stripper can win an Oscar on her first screenwriting venture this gal that works at the phone company can do the same. (I plan on melting down said Oscar and selling it in overly priced bits one ebay and sharing the wealth will all that help me in my venture, though if I do not like you I will not allow you to help so that I don't have to thank or reward you).

I do need to be part of the cast, though, as my life already seems like a sitcom at times.

And as for the blogging at the end of the show bit....way to go Doogie Howser, M.D.

TaylorW said...

i'm anxious to know more...

Eric Patrick Marr said...

I was going to drop by and give you a Reese Cup Egg yesterday, down at the end of the street, but alas, you were gone.

So I ate it myself.

I had five yesterday. And since they don't need to be chewed, they just melt in your mouth like sweet nectar, ZERO calories were burned.

aimeenky said...

this is great! And unfortunately, so relative!

Anonymous said...

T-O-P-S TOPS TOPS TOPS. I think the 270 needs to be shown little love. I also think you need to post something new.

Anonymous said...

i am pretty sure it has been so long you might be at 1/2 life.

Carol said...

I agree - need new post - don't know if can go on without your wisdom on such random yet relevant issues :)

Anonymous said...

you have not posted in a while. that's okay. i know that you are working on a really good post for april 15, 2008. that's world blog day, just to refresh your memory.

remember, in celebration of this day, you can skip class, work, etc. basically, whatever you want to do on this day = fair game (just as long as you post).

Anonymous said...

i was wondering if we need to do to you what happened to wiley when he stopped writing last time?

Anonymous said...

boring

Anonymous said...

this blog sucks

Anonymous said...

still sucks

Anonymous said...

this blog bites

Misty Dawn said...

Did you die when you went to Immanuel? BLOG!

Anonymous said...

pathetic

Carol said...

And I thought I was bad only blogging once a month - where are you?

Anonymous said...

this blog sucks