Wednesday, September 27, 2006

I'm Gonna Miss that Dog.

An era has ended.

Along with parachute pants, L.A. Gear, and Mr. T lunchboxes--
my cell phone has been retired.

Purchased originally in the year 2000, I decided last week to put O'l Yeller down.

Actually, O'l Yeller wasn't yeller anymore. She was black. You see, I found a source for when my cell phones would die I could replace it with a refurbished version just like it. The last time I had my phone replaced they couldn't get yellow ones anymore so I had to settle for a black one.

I'm gonna miss that old phone. It was from an era when phones were phones. Not these narcissistic little bundles of self expression that we have today.

Back in my day, we used the ring tone that came on the phone, and we liked it. We didn't download the latest from Terrance Trent D'arby and "Wish Me Love, Oh Wishing Well" every time somebody wanted to talk to us.

If we wanted to text message someone we would go home, sit down, and write them a letter just like everybody else.

In fact, O'l Yeller was quite a step up for me. The phone I had before that one was mounted in my truck. I would still be using that one today but when they changed our area code to 859 the cell phone company didn't have the necessary hardware to make the change. Who doesn't have 5 1/4 inch disk drives?...Come on.

Now I find myself wanting to stick out my pinky while talking on this itty-bitty metrosexual ocean blue phone. I don't answer with "Yeah" anymore, now it's scary things like "Helleau" and "Can you believe Meridith is gonna go after McDreamy and not O'Donnell?". Alas, I don't know who I am.

But I gotta admit, Tetris on a phone is pretty cool.

Holla,
Nate.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Chris O'Donnell. That is all.

Anonymous said...

Should've gone with the "Crack-Berry". Then...you could put it in you man purse that you carry on Sundays. (Your half way to being Metro...)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

that's why you've been wearing so much pin...i mean salmon lately...
by the way the salon called and your manicure is at 12:30.

Anonymous said...

IT IS NOT A PURSE!!!

IT IS A EUROPEAN CARRY-ALL!!!

I quit using that piece of luggage because some of my friends are not progressive enough to accept a man with high fashion standards.

Anonymous said...

your wicker shoes will look GREAT with your new tele!

Anonymous said...

and purse.

Jordan said...

i want the phone..and I introduced you to tetris!

Jordan said...

...and everyone knows it's a purse

Anonymous said...

tetris is not cool...whether on a phone or atari/nintendo...does jordan really think she (est.1990) introduced you to tetris?

queenhaiku said...

honey,the nail salon called and you left your purse there after your pedicure. i told them you would stop by and get it after your yoga class.

Anonymous said...

new post

Anonymous said...

the word suck is comprised of UK and SC...kind of self prophecying huh?

Anonymous said...

i miss the days of the prompt blog

Anonymous said...

get with it buddy, put your purse down and type something...

Anonymous said...

the mourning period has expired...a long time ago...let go and move on

Anonymous said...

if you don't write something new NOW...you are going to ROLL